Requiem for Humanity is a mass which brings together world views on life and death. It sets parts of the Latin mass alongside texts from Buddhism, Judaism, Daoism and Hinduism. It also incorporates inspirational quotes from Gandhi and poems by Yates and W. H. Auden.
It was premiered in the Netherlands in 2015 by Dutch chamber choir La Colombe who went on to record the work. Along with the CD release in 2015 they premiered the work in Germany. Since then it has been performed in the UK and one of the songs, May God Remember, was chosen for BBC introducing in the West.
This mass is a 40 minute work for SATB choir and soprano, alto and baritone soloists. It can be performed with piano or organ or an arrangement for string quintet and piano. Some movements are available to purchase individually.
Duration: 40 minutes
Languages: English & Latin
Lyrics: Latin Mass, The Buddah Anguttara Nikaya, W. H. Auden, Jewish Memorial Service, W. B. Yeats, Mahatma Gandhi, Zhuangzi 24 Daoism
Setting: SATB choir, soprano and baritone solos, piano or organ. An arrangement for string quintet/ensemble and piano is available.
Page numbers: 64 (including the front cover)
The requiem comprises of:
1. ‘Requiem & Kyrie’ (Grant them eternal rest, O Lord)
2. ‘Dies Irae’ (Day of Wrath! Day of Mourning!)
3. ‘Contemplation’ - text by The Buddha, Anguttara Nikaya
4. ‘Funeral Blues’ – W. H. Auden
5. ‘May God Remember’ – text from Jewish Memorial Service
6. ‘Sanctus’ (Holy Lord, Hosanna)
7. ‘Everlasting Voices’ – W. B. Yeats
8. ‘Faith’ – based on quotes from Mahatma Gandhi
9. ‘Agnus Dei’ (Lamb of God, grant them rest)
10. ‘Lux Aeterna’ (Everlasting light, mercy)
11. ‘Death is not an End’ - Daoism, Zhuangzi, 24
Please note that limited stocks are held. Therefore orders for multiple copies will be printed 'on demand' with an estimated delivery time of 2 weeks.
- Size: 29x20
- number of pages: 64 (including cover)
- duration: 40 minutes
- difficulty: Moderate
- Weight: 0.187kg
- Product Code: ISMN 979-0-57053-094-6
- Brand: Helen Ostafew Music